The first appearance
It is not easy to determine the accurate point of time to produce the first “banh mi”. This is may be a story: the origin “banh mi” was stemmed from French baguette (before 1859). esides French people, Chinese people produced baguette to sell to Western people who lived in Saigon at that time. Passing time by time, “banh mi” from big size become smaller size which fit to the size of Asian’s hand. Furthermore, it is not like French baguette, “banh mi” is made from wheat flour.
“Banh mi” for all people who come from poor and rich families- you can eat any where- abundant topping in side
There are many styles from many regions:
- In the North: the sour and sweet young papaya with Hanoi special Pork-pie, cucumber, herbal, onion leaf,…
- In the South: various fillings inside compared to other regions such as: the sour and sweet carrot with slice-pork’s skin, roast chicken, roast pork, cucumber, some slices of chili or black pepper, soy sauce and tomato sauce,….
- In the Middle: the famous banh mi of this region is “banh mi Hoi An” : Danang fish-pie, Vietnamese Mayo and pate (looks simple mix but it is voted as the best banh mi of Vietnam).
Even there are so many styles from 3 typical regions, that is generally known that cooled meat, cucumber, Vietnamese páte is the general topping make “banh mi” become famous!
Where to find the best Vietnamese Sandwich in Ho Chi Minh (Sai Gon)?
- Bánh Mì Hòa Mã at 51 Cao Thắng street, District 1
- Bánh Mì Bảy Hổ at 23 Huỳnh Khương Ninh street, District 1
- Bánh Mì Huỳnh Hoa at 26 Lê Thị Riêng street, District 1
- Bánh Mì Nguyên Sinh at 141 Trần Đình Xu street, District 1
- Bánh Mì Minh Châu at 76 Lý Tự Trọng street, District 1
- Bánh Mì Như Lan at 50 Hàm Nghi street, District 1
- Bánh Mì Như Lan at 64 – 66 – 68 Hàm Nghi street, District 1